real palette waiting to be painted, courtesy of Paul Jakubowski
THE PALETTE ART MANIFEST-O OF DESTINY IN TEN ORDERS
1. Painters will forthwith mix their paints of choice only on
palettes of the rectangular or elliptical persuasion including a
hole of some kind for the left or right thumb or big toe.
2. Painters will design their own palettes and make them themselves
or have them fabricated by a skilled artisan familiar with palette
materials and methods. You may want to refer to the instructional
film "How to Palette" by the distinguished art educator Almost
Anonymous located elsewhere on these internet pages.
3. Painters will abide by all the rules and concepts of all color
theories and apply their paints of choice by squeezing certain
amounts of the gooey substances only out of tubes made with lead.
4. Painters must carefully follow their own eccentric intuitions
when making the highly critical and decisive decisions about how
much of a color to mix with another color.
5. Painters will carefully select the proper tool for the mix,
whether it be with a brush, palette knife, paint stick, a square
toothpick with round pointed ends, finger, nose or cigar.
6. As to what to do with the consequent mixtures, the painter must
ask him/her self the very basic but important question.... what to
7. There is only one subject matter that a painter can consider
8. Painters must abandon such common decorative subjects as
still-lifes, landscapes, seascapes, figures and other things. They
have all been interpreted and translated before by millions of
painters thru the ages, and the balance of the world's citizenry is
sick, tired and bored with the sorrowful repetition. The Los Angeles
based Art Disposal Service, John Manno CEO, has exhausted his
allotment of landfill for the dumping of this pollution and begs for
9. Painters must only paint pictures of palettes.
10. State and federal funded art departments, museums and galleries
will post this Manifest-o for all to read, the separation of
palettes and state be damned.
Almost Maybe alias Bob Matheny
Head Palette Benefactor